February in the Midwest can take the winter blues to a whole new level. Since adulting happened, the winter blues became a thing in my life. Some years worse than others, but always painfully present.
I hated it, but frankly didn’t feel like there was much I could do about it. But my word of the year is courage, and so I took that cue to speak up to a trusted friend about my issue. She had a couple great ideas, because she deals with the same thing. And a few of the ideas are what helps me, speaking from personal experience.
So here we go. Put on a great playlist and get ready to kick those yucky winter blues to the snowy curb without spending a bunch of Benjamins on a tropical vacation.
- VITAMIN D. This one I can’t scream from the rooftops loud enough. I ordered drops that you put under your tongue because they absorb instantly. The Metagenics brand from Amazon is the one my friend recommended, and I put 4 drops under my tongue every single morning after brushing my teeth and before I do anything else. They have a nice minty taste. Placebo affect or not, this one thing alone has been life changing. (I even brought them with me on our vacation!)
- WORKOUT. I semi-hate that this is one of my tips because the winter blahs make you want to do the exact opposite. However, it’s a thing. You workout, you feel happier. It’s just a fact of life. For me, hot yoga and walking at the YMCA (because CHILDCARE) are about the two things I have the stamina for right now. My running mojo is missing, but that doesn’t mean I can’t move in the right direction.
- SUNLIGHT. No, I’m not advocating for
wrinkletanning beds. Grab yourself a spray tan if that makes you feel pretty (personally I love Flesh Tones in Bettendorf where they do $10 spray tans on Tuesdays). But I am talking about getting yourself an ion therapy light and soaking it up sister. It’s cold and gloomy outside, and therapy for my kids because I was a grinch all winter costs way more than the $50 that this light costs.
- EAT HEALTHY. Another woh wohhhh, perhaps. When you feel like crap, you often reach for the crap foods because your brain is signaling you to give it more sugar. Thus, you perpetuate the cranky cycle. Moms, we must start feeding ourselves nutrient rich, colorful foods! We are so ridiculously blessed to live in a place where we can get our hands on fresh berries and veggies all year round, even though they very much don’t grow in frozen tundras. Make yourself a bowl. Dip those veggies in some hummus. Stir fry up some meat and veggies tonight and throw on some Coconut Aminos for your seasoning. Get yourself a good protein shake and go to town. Taking care of your diet plays a crucial role in crushing those winter blues.
- READ A GOOD BOOK. We recently posted an article with some great reads. Escaping through a book is an awesome way to feel productive and get inspired. Plus, what else are you going to do? You’re stuck inside. Light a candle. Get your favorite snuggly blanket, and maybe stick a kid or two under the blanket next to you, and have yourself some merry little reading time.
- GIRLFRIENDS. When you feel depressed, you usually don’t want to go out. However, going out is often THE thing you need to get rid of those blues. Get yourself a girls night on the calendar. Maybe one of those wine and painting nights, or dessert at your favorite restaurant…anything to get you out of your germ infested house and into the light. Girlfriends are good for the soul.
- HAVE SEX. I know you’re cold. I know you’re tired. I know you’re stressing about your bod. But no more excuses, lady. Sex will warm you up, strengthen your marriage, and give you endorphins. Triple score.
Well, now that I’m off of my snowy soap box, I’m reminded that I still have some work to do in some of these areas. We got this mamas!! Let us not give up on all happy feelings just because our Facebook friends are in the the Caribbean and we’re very much not.
What else do you do to shovel away those yucky winter blues?