Sometimes I just need something to keep my daughter entertained in her high chair while I get some tasks done. She can get pretty bored with just her regular ol’ toys, so I came up with a few things that are fun for her and also keep her attention for longer than 10 minutes.
Most of them can be done with items you have around the house or a few dollars. Who doesn’t love cheap entertainment? 😉
- Heavy baking dish (like a glass one)
- Toys and other objects that are water safe
Fill the pan with water and the toys. Let your kid go crazy! Which they will, so be ready to mop up some water. 😉
- Unflavored gelatin
- Baking pan
- Toys that can handle being stuck in Jello
Prepare the gelatin according to the package. Fill up your pan with the toys and gelatin mixture. Put in the fridge for a few hours to set the jello. I recommend taking out the pan and setting it on the counter a couple of hours before you let your little one play with it. This will warm it up a bit. Also, this will end up in their mouth, so be sure to supervise closely while they’re playing.
- Small bottles (I used some bottle from my pumping days that were collecting dust)
- Distilled water
- Small objects like rinestones & pom-poms (I got mine at Hobby Lobby and used my 40% off coupon)
- Hot glue
Fill the bottles with the objects of choice, then fill with water close to the top. Hot glue the lids on the bottles. Shake away! You could also fill these up with glitter too, how fun would that be?
- Paper (I suggest a thick paper like the one used for finger painting)
- Ziploc Baggie
Put blobs of paint on the paper and slide into the baggie. Let your little one create a masterpiece! If you think they may try to open the baggie, you can tape it shut.
Let me know if you give any of these a try or have some more suggestions!