Clothing for the curvy fashionista has come so far! Only 10 years ago finding something trendy and figure flattering was a challenge. Thanks to the ease of shopping online and having a few extra curves becoming more mainstream, being able to purchase figure flattering clothing has become much easier. Though I am not a paid advocate for any of these stores, I am a loyal customer and happy to help out my fellow thick ladies!
Here is my list of my Top 5 favorite Plus Size Retailers and why I am a committed to fancying their frocks. This list of retailers carry a wide range of products so most of them are a 1 stop shopping experience (a few cater to more than just the Plus Size figure). The downside is locally we don’t have any of these stores so you have to shop online (or road trip to as close as Chicago). No worries though, they each have fantastic size charts to help you find your size and run fairly accurate.
1) Modcloth – www.modcloth.com – I am a sucker for retro and vintage ANYTHING, especially clothes! ModCloth delivers it all! This store isn’t just for the curvy gal either, their sizes range from XS/Double Zero up to 4X/Size 30. You have the option to input your exact measurements and save your settings so when you search for a clothing item; your search results only populate your size. SCORE! That saves time when looking for a fancy frock. Another amazing feature of ModCloth is the availability to instant message/live chat with one of their stylists. DOUBLE SCORE! You can ask a ModStylist anything about a particular item you are unsure about, from what size to get or even what shoes to wear with the item. Also, (yes there’s more) ModCloth has more than just clothes. In addition to Women’s AND Men’s clothes they offer Shoes, Accessories, Household goods (rugs, accent furniture, kitchen gadgets) items for your pets… the list goes on and on. With good reason, I’m a HUGE FAN!
$52.99 – Glisten to the Wind Dress
2) Torrid– www.torrid.com – Oh Torrid! Torrid was the first plus size clothing store I ever made a purchase from when I moved to Los Angeles when I was 18 (the closest location to the Quad Cities is in the Chicago area). Torrid is a subsidiary of Hot Topic so they tend to have some pretty rad and edgy clothes in addition to more casual and contemporary items. They cater to please. They sell women’s clothing, lingerie, accessories, shoes, swim suits and Halloween costumes. Besides having a great selection of clothing my favorite thing about Torrid is their sizing. My thick ladies, if you never thought you would see a size 2 on one of your clothing tags, THINK AGAIN! Torrid starts their sizing at Plus Size 0 which is equivalent to a size 12 (or Large) up to Plus Size 5 which is equivalent to a size 32 (or 5X). Their sizing system takes the edge off of how intimidating it can be to find your size. Seeing a size 2 is much more appealing to me than sifting through the racks for a size 18/20. Again…big time fan!
$80 – White Eyelet Dress
3) Fashion to Figure – www.fashiontofigure.com – Sizes 12-26 (1X-5X), Fashion to Figure is budget friendly and fashion forward. I discovered FTF while searching online for gig clothes and was stunned to see all of the options. This gem is full of accessories and clothing that rival the finest retailers. The quality is fantastic and the trendy outfits are limitless. If you sign up for their newsletter you receive a 10% discount to use towards a future purchase and you get notifications of sales and coupon codes.
$40 – Seize the Night “Leather” Mesh Dress
4) Igigi – www.igigi.com– If you’re in the market for vacation or special occasion clothes I suggest checking out Igigi. Igigi offers designer clothing from size 12-32. What I adore about Igigi is the option to shop according to size and/or body type. The body type options are Triangle, Inverted Triangle, Diamond, Hourglass, Rectangle, Oval and Figure Eight. You’re going to find the right fit here without a doubt.
5) Forever 21 – www.forever21.com – Who doesn’t want to feel young at heart via fashion? I’m IN! Sizes XS-3X makes Forever 21 a great shopping spot. They have Womens, Mens and Girls clothing, accessories and shoes. You can’t go wrong! The prices are phenomenal as well. You can get a full outfit from head to toe under $75! I’m IN! I’ve been spying on a retro-styled romper on their website, I just don’t know if I am brave enough to take the plunge yet! *Not all Forever 21 locations offer their Plus Size line, so shopping online is very likely. Also to keep in mind their sizes run a bit on the snug side so I suggest ordering “up”.
If you’re weary of ordering clothing online you can stick to some more traditional stores such as Old Navy, Target and Lane Bryant. But I’m a risk taker and enjoy the thrill of checking out what other retailers have to offer!
Another tip is to check out this list of Plus Size Fashion Bloggers! I use a lot of these as a resource to find out what is hip and trendy.
Which of these Plus Size retailers are up your alley?