Alas, the season of pumpkin everything is upon us! Basic girls, women, and mothers are coming out of hiding, bearing their boots, leggings, messy buns, & fully loaded Starbucks apps – ready to get their pumpkin spice latte fix day after day after day.
…Except for those basic moms on the Dave Ramsey Financial Peace plan. Or those basic moms who are so basic they don’t live near the rest of society. (Raise your hands, cornfield dwellers!)
So what’s a girl on a budget to do?! Do we get short-changed? Are we left out alone in the wilderness with our latte-less, cold hands, and sad hearts?
The answer is no. Not for one second. We don’t have to suffer this tragedy any longer. There is hope for you, my sweet specialty-coffee-loving, friend. Lets get straight to business.
Here’s what you’ll need.
-Espresso (or strongly brewed coffee): 1-2 shots or 1/2 cup coffee
-Milk (use whatever tickles your fancy): 1/2 – 3/4 cup depending on how strong you like it
-Pumpkin pie coffee syrup (I use the Torani brand ordered from Amazon): 2 pumps or so
-Vanilla or toasted marshmallow coffee syrup OR vanilla extract: 1-2 pumps or 2 t.
-Pumpkin pie sauce (OHHH the sauce. Its all about the sauce. It is smack your daddy, good. Amazon has it. They should really pay me for how much I refer them): 2-3t; basically a few good squeezes!
-Nutmeg or cinnamon
This is the particular machine that I use. Its budget-friendly if you consider how many mornings you won’t be needing to stop at a coffee shop!
Alright, people. Here are the steps to glory.
- Think about the wonderful thing you’re doing by making this at home. Tell your husband and maybe after a month he’ll let you go buy that cute jean jacket you’ve been eyeing at Target with all the money you saved. No promises on that. I’m a dreamer.
- Brew your espresso/coffee. I normally brew 2 shots and use between 1.5-2 depending on how sassy I feel on that particular day.
- Next, its milk time. Get your milk of choice ready. Remember, any milk will do ya. Follow your preferred method of frothing/steaming. (My machine does both and I use this handy little frothing Pitcher.) I steam and froth until I can’t touch the pitcher without burning my finger off (I like it extra steamy). *Tip: Starbucks steams their standard lattes to 165 degrees, so get a little espresso thermometer if you want it to be perfect!
*If you don’t have a machine, DON’T FRET! Simply grab a mason jar, fill it no more than halfway full with milk, screw the lid on, & shake-shake-shake it-shake it like a Polaroid picture for 30-60 seconds until the milk is frothy and roughly doubled in volume. Take the lid off. Microwave uncovered for 30 seconds-1 min until its steamed. Wallah!
- Grab your cutest, most marvelous & beautiful coffee mug from the kitchen. You know the one. It makes your heart leap a little when you look at it.
- Pour your espresso/coffee into the cup. (Very complicated process here)
- Squeeze in pumpkin pie sauce, vanilla, & pumpkin pie coffee syrup.
- Pour your milk and foam in.
- Top with whipped cream and a sprinkle of nutmeg/cinnamon and maybe even a drizzle of caramel if you live on the wild side.
- Pat yourself on the back and revel in the beauty that is your very own Pumpkin Spice Latte.
- Tip the barista. (Cash preferably).
- Go tell the world how awesome you are for making your own latte.
- Comment below and tell us the emotions you experience as you sip on heavens nectar.
You’re welcome. Now go on and do your thing, girl. Change those diapers. Work that meal plan. Check off some of that to-do list. Put your lipstick on and get to the office. Avoid the Starbucks car line. 😉 You’ve got what it takes to take this day to the TOP! We’re all rooting for you.