September is that wonderful time where the weather begins to turn cooler, hints of color appear on the trees and the slow creep of pumpkin spiced everything begins. Kids are back in school and establishing new routines. Often appreciating the finer points of September get lost in the shuffle of back to school and before you know it, it’s Halloween and then the downhill rush to Christmas.
In order to fully appreciate the glory of September, I offer up our September Bucket List (after all, why should Summer and Christmas get all the bucket list fun?)
- Go Apple Picking. This one is a no brainer and local orchards start their harvest season in September.
- Make all the apple things!!
Apple pie, Apple cider, you can keep your pumpkin spiced stuff until October!!
For an easy spiced cider recipe (which can be made in a crock pot or simmered on the stove top:
½ gallon of Apple Cider
1 quart Cranberry juice
2 cups Orange Juice
3 Cinnamon Sticks,
5 All Spice Berries.
Combine and simmer until warm. This also makes your house smell amazing and fall like!!
- Take in a high school football game.
Check with your local high school for a schedule. Nothing says Fall like Friday night lights. Bonus craft ahead of time: noise makers and signs to cheer on your team!
- Celebrate the actual beginning of Fall on the Autumnal Equinox on September 22nd.
- Take a leaf viewing drive
Some favorite destinations are along either side of the river, Galena, Dubuque and Bishop Hill
- Attend a fall festival
Take advantage of the cooler temperatures and spend the day outdoors. Some options in the area are:
- Geneseo’s Planes, Trains and Automobiles September 7th, 8th,9th
- Jordbruksdgarna-Agriculture Days, Bishop Hill, IL September 23rd and 24th.
- 56th Annual Antique Engine and Tractor Working Farm show, Geneseo September 15th-18th
Before you know it, October will be here and it will be time to prepare for Halloween!!